Despite what some of my instagram uploads may imply, I’m actually all for the easy and simple recipes. Minimal ingredients and one bowl wonders sure have my utmost attention.
Who doesn’t want to indulge in a mini choc chip muffin.. or several for that matter?
I sure didn’t hold back on the choc chips in this recipe!
I enjoy making mini bite size muffins because I can just shove the whole thing in the mouth and get the whole she-bang all in one go.
Easy One Bowl Chocolate Chip Muffins
Yields approximately 60 mini muffins
2 cups of self raising flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup oil
1 beaten egg
250-300 grams chocolate chips (I used mini dark choc chips)
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcicus (fan-forced)
2. Lightly grease a 24 mini muffin tin with oil spray/butter (you will be using this tray multiple times, or having 2 trays will be handy)
3. Mix flour and sugar in a bowl with a silver spoon
4. Add liquid ingredients and mix until just combined
5. Add in chocolate chips until evenly dispersed – do not over mix
6. Spoon about a 1/2 tablespoon of batter into each muffin hole (seems little but they will rise)
7. Tap gently on bench to rid of any air bubbles then cook for approx 8 minutes until golden brown or until a skewer comes out clean
8. Cool in tin for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack
- Best served warm or at room temperature, otherwise store in an airtight container for a couple days
- Can substitute chocolate chips for frozen berries, or do half and half, or a mixture of white/milk/dark/carmel choc chips
- Feel free to reduce the amount of sugar or chocolate chips. I actually didn’t find the above recipe too sweet.
- Can use wholemeal flour but they will be a little bit more dry
- Can make approximately 12-14 regular size muffins or 8 large muffins (cafe style) – I haven’t done it so I’m not sure on the cooking times for these sizes
Totally looks like there’s just as much chocolate chips as there is muffin batter – I ain’t complaining ;)